HAProxy Trademark Policy
This HAProxy Trademark Policy (“Policy”) identifies trademarks owned by HAProxy Technologies LLC and its affiliated entities, including HAProxy Technologies SAS (collectively, “HAProxy,” “we,” “us” or “our”), and sets forth our policy and guidelines relating to use of trademarks owned by us. Trademarks are referred to as trademarks or marks in this Policy. We may release new versions of this Policy from time to time without notice, so prior to use of our trademarks, you should review this Policy in its entirety.
HAProxy® is a registered trademark in the United States and France.
HAProxy owns the following additional marks and logos:
Aloha Virtual Appliance ™
This Policy enables HAProxy to ensure that its trademarks remain reliable indicators of the source and quality of HAProxy products and services. This policy also guides community members to better understand how they may use HAProxy’s trademarks to discuss the projects with which HAProxy products and services are associated.
A trademark provides the owner with an exclusive right to authorize or control the use of a mark. Your limited right to use one or more marks of HAProxy is provided for in this policy and in the statement of permitted use, if any, that may accompany the trademark notice displayed on the website dedicated to the project. A copyright license, even an open source copyright license, does not include an implied right or license to use a trademark, even one related to the project developing the licensed software or other materials. Your right to use any specific trademark of HAProxy is not determined by your use of software made available under an open source license. Your right to use a mark is separate from a copyright license, and conditioned upon conforming to other requirements that are directly related to the qualities that the specific mark has been created to preserve.
Proper use of the trademarks of HAProxy by following these guidelines protects the value of such trademarks, which are the proprietary intellectual property assets of HAproxy. Any use of or reference to HAProxy trademarks that is inconsistent with this Policy, or use of marks that implies a relationship with HAProxy that does not exist, or use of marks that are confusingly similar to trademarks of HAProxy, is prohibited and may constitute trademark infringement. All uses of HAProxy’s trademarks, and all goodwill associated therewith, will inure solely to the benefit of HAProxy.
Rules that Apply to Trademarks in General
There are some basic rules that apply to use of any trade or service mark that you do not own, including any mark of HAProxy, with the express permission of the owner.
- A trademark should never be used as a verb or noun. Our marks should be used only as an adjective followed by the generic noun which identifies the relevant product or service.
- A trademark should not be used in the plural or possessive form.
- A trademark should not be altered or amended in any way. A mark should not be combined with any other mark, hyphenated, abbreviated or displayed in parts. Any mark consisting of two or more words should not be compressed into one word. A logo should not be displayed with color variations, or with other elements superimposed on top of the logo.
- A trademark should not be used as your domain name or as part of your domain name.
- A trademark should not be used as part of the name of your product or service, or in a way which implies that your product or service originates from the owner of the trademark.
- A trademark should not be incorporated into your company’s logos or designs.
Rules and Policies Applicable to Marks Owned by HAProxy
- A trademark notice should be used on the most prominent or first appearance of each of HAProxy’s marks.
- Do not change our trademark.
- Do not use our marks in a manner that would disparage us or our projects, including in untruthful advertising or false or misleading promotional materials.
- Do not use our marks on the cover of a book or magazine without written permission from us.
- Do not indicate that your product or service is certified by HAProxy unless you have received express authorization from HAProxy for such use.
- Do not use our marks more prominently than your own company, product or service name.
- Do not use our marks on posters, brochures, signs, websites, or other marketing materials to promote your events, products or services without written permission from us.
- Do not attempt to claim or assert any ownership rights in ours mark and do not attempt to register any of our marks as a trademark, trade name, domain name, or “doing business as” name, alone or (unless specifically licensed) in combination with your own trademarks.
If you are unsure about whether a mark of HAProxy is registered in your country, please contact us for additional guidance as to what trademark symbol you should use.
You may have legal rights to use our marks, often referred to as “fair use” rights. We do not intend to restrict those rights. Fair use does not permit you to state or imply that we produce, endorse, or support your company, products, or services. Even when making fair use of our marks, you should acknowledge us as the owner of the trademark with the appropriate trademark notice. If the trademark is registered, use the ® symbol. If the trademark is not yet registered, use the TM or SM symbol. The notice should appear immediately after the trademark and be in superscript where possible.
Do not use our marks in search engine marketing or advertisements, such as Google AdWords, Facebook, etc.
As long as you comply with this Policy, you may use our marks
- To communicate compatibility or interoperability of software or products, provided our mark is not used as part of your product name. For example, the following forms are permitted: “This plugin is intended for use with HAProxy load balancers,” and “This user interface supports HAProxy software”.
- Indicate a file name, package name, script, or command line. For example, the following forms are permitted outputs of a system boot up script: “starting the HAProxy load balancer” “Starting service HAProxy,” and “Please update the HAProxy package.”
- In a public host name if the host name is used to deliver services directly related to the HAProxy open source software project.
You must also include a trademark attribution statement (i.e., a statement that identifies HAProxy as the legal owner of the trademark). The statement should be included as a footnote to each and every use of the trademark in a manner that is clearly visible (i.e., appropriate type size, color and placement) and in proximity to the use of the mark.
(For Example: HAProxy® is a trademark registered by HAProxy Technologies SAS, and is not affiliated with, and does not endorse, this [product/service/website]; or HAPEE ™ is a trademark owned by HAProxy Technologies, LLC and is not affiliated with and does not endorse, this [product/service/website].)
For websites, the footnote/attribution should appear at the bottom of each web page on which the mark appears – not only on the top-level page, but also on all sub-pages that include HAProxy marks. The footnote/attribution requirement may not be satisfied through placement on a “Legal Notices,” “Trademarks” or “Terms and Conditions” page.
Questions, Comments, Concerns
We look to our community to help us retain the value of HAProxy’s trademarks and service marks. If you have questions with respect to these guidelines or to report concerns regarding the use or misuse of a trademark of HAProxy, or to obtain written permission for a proposed use of HAProxy’s trademarks, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
HAProxy does not make any warranties, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of non-infringement of any third party intellectual property rights. We will not be liable for any claims relating to activities falling within the scope of the permissions set forth herein and you hereby agree to indemnify, defend and hold us harmless against any such claims.
This work is inspired by the Linux Foundation Trademarks and Trademark Usage Guidelines. It is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International license (“CC BY 4.0”, available at https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0).