Pre Sales Engineer
Work for HAProxy Technologies
HAProxy Technologies is the company behind HAProxy, the world’s fastest and most widely used software load balancer. Organizations rapidly deploy our products to deliver websites and applications with the utmost performance, observability, and security at any scale and in any environment.
The pre-sales engineer provides technical solutions to our customers after qualifying their needs through preliminary calls. The ideal candidate should be able to prove out the proposed solutions and escalate the proposal to engineering and solution architecture teams as needed.
The Pre-Sales Engineer (PSE) supports sales productivity and deal flow by securing the “technical win” in complex solutions. The PSE collaborates with sales, support, product and engineering to ensure proposed deals include technical solutions that accurately address the customer’s needs, and are appropriately supported by key customer technical decision-makers.
The PSE is responsible for achieving a revenue and productivity quota made up of the combined expectations of the sales resources, market, and/or channel supported.
Reporting to the VP of Sales, the PSE also reports on a dotted line to the sales manager or supervisor responsible for the sales team supported.
- Responsible for achieving the technical win for deals within the assigned sales territory, prioritizing effort based on maximizing total impact on team productivity and profit, or as directed by the sales manager.
- Proactively scopes the technical solution required to address customer requirements, assesses customers’ met and unmet needs, and recommends solutions that optimize value for both the customer and HAProxy Technologies.
- Collects feedback from all necessary stakeholders within the customer’s organization. Adapts solutions, as necessary, to ensure appropriate support.
- Coordinates closely with internal sales, support, and engineering resources to align the solution design with customers’ business requirements.
- Addresses the customer’s questions and concerns to arrive at a consensus needed to ensure a deal’s technical win.
- Meets assigned targets for profitable sales growth in assigned market areas or teams supported.
- Provides coaching and professional development to team-member sales representatives in order to enhance their product knowledge, technical acumen, and technical sales skills.
- Opportunistically pursues additional business development opportunities within customer organizations. Collaborates with sales to ensure these opportunities are effectively covered and advanced.
- Monitors customer support for technical solutions proposed throughout the sales process, and alerts the sales and account teams to potential risks to deal closure.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in sales engineering, technical support, engineering or relevant technical role.
- Experience in load-balancing, application delivery and networking technology; experience using HAProxy a plus.
- Deep knowledge of web servers, reverse proxies/load balancers, HTTP and web applications.
- Experience with associated protocols such as TCP/IP, UDP, all versions of HTTP protocol, DNS, WebSocket, SSL/TLS, SMTP, etc.
- Experience in Linux-/UNIX-based systems.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Must be intellectually curious and passionate about solving customer problems.
- Exceptional presentation and business writing skills in English.
- You don’t mind traveling when required (client meetings, trade shows, etc), working odd hours with geographically-dispersed teams, and being very available.
- You are a self-starter and enjoy proactive learning and problem solving with minimal supervision.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field or a record of achievement and technical solution expertise in a comparable technical domain.
This is a full-time, remote role for candidates located in the United States or Canada.
Wherever you are located, we put our employees and their families first by offering top of the line health and wellness coverage.
Being on the cutting edge of technology, employees have great opportunities to upskill and learn a vast array of technologies. Our goal is to promote your professional development and help you progress along one of our multiple career paths.